Grumpy Alice

Grumpy Alice
Images can be deceptive!

Wednesday 13 June 2012

ACTUALLY, YOU COULDN'T

Imagine you're speaking to a close friend.
Imagine that friend is a lovely person who has a very large (and possibly unattractive) nose.
You need to tread carefully when you mention the nose.

You might say to your friend, "You're a sweetheart; I don't care if your nose is rather large."
Another way of saying the same thing: "You're a sweetheart; I couldn't care less if your nose is rather large."

Whatever you do, DON'T say, ""You're a sweetheart; I could care less if your nose is rather large." because you're telling your friend that it is actually possible for you to care less about the nose -- and if you could, perhaps you should!

I don't know why Americans insist on getting this WRONG. Dear USA, please stop it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm not even-handed. And while I believe in 'balance' in viewpoints there are enough god-bothering sites out there for the turgid rants of the rabid. Your comment will be posted only if you mind your manners. And perhaps not even then.